Saturday, February 21, 2015

Blogging Tips | DSLR vs. Point & Shoot Cameras


The big debate in the blogging world. DSLR vs Point & Shoot. Photography has been a recent passion of mine as I have become more and more engrossed in the world of blogging, and the great question of the difference between the two has always intrigued me.

For my DSLR, I have the Nikon 60D, and I use the lens it came with which is their 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. My point & shoot camera is a Canon Power Shot S110, a popular vlogging camera for Youtubers. The zoom lens on this one is a 5.2-26.0 mm lens. Please keep in mind that this is my experience with these two cameras and these two cameras only. All cameras perform differently!

original, unedited photos
Background Blurring | Although the leaves in the P&S shot appear clearer, the real focus of the picture is the nail polish itself, as that is what I am trying to feature. I personally prefer a blurred background as that draws the eye to the product, and the background was completely blurred in the DSLR shot. My P&S can do a great job blurring a background, but it tends to only do this when I am getting a close-up shot (and by close-up I mean even closer than this). The P&S does have auto-focus as well as a manual focus by simply clicking on the touch screen (something my DSLR does not have), but in general, my DSLR does a better job at naturally blurring the background.

Photo Quality | The quality of the P&S photos are by all means great, but the DSLR shots are simply better when viewed close up. Everything from shadows to depth perception is handled seamlessly by my DSLR.

Zoom Capabilities | My P&S wins hands down. To be fair, the lens on my DSLR is not a macro lens (a zoom lens), but it still sucks when I am trying to get an up-close product shot. On average, I have to be at least two inches away from the product for the picture to be taken. Whenever I need detail in a picture, such as the tiny pores in a beauty blender or an eyeshadow swatch, I turn to my P&S. I am constantly amazed by how incredible the zoom capabilities are.

Brightness | My P&S produces much brighter photos, and it does a wonderful job at picking up light in the darkest of places. My family was eating dinner at restaurant one night, and the lighting was quite dim. We asked a waiter to take a picture of us, but he assumed he would need flash to take the picture (no way sir), so I asked him to try it without the flash. When he saw the photo afterwards, both he and my family were amazed by how bright it was. If I am ever taking pictures outside at night, I will always turn to my P&S. However, during the day, my P&S sometimes lets in too much light if that's even possible. As seen in the P&S photo above, the light washed out the color of the nail polish.

Photo Accuracy | I am not sure why, but my P&S has tendencies to "distort" my photos. Products appear in odd angles that I never deemed possible. It's very hard to explain what I mean by this, but all I know is that my DSLR gives me exactly what I seeing through my lens whereas my P&S takes on its own interpretation to a slight degree. Nothing drastic, just a bit odd.

Editing | Since my P&S takes a much brighter photo, it is a lot easier to achieve a white background when editing. My DSLR tends to leave a grey cast over my photos which is quite hard to edit at times. If you are a person who does not know how to edit at all, a P&S is the camera for you.

Conclusion | I prefer my DSLR over my P&S, but with that being said, a P&S can by all means make a great blogging camera. P&S cameras are quite multi-functional as they are most often video cameras as well, and the quality is superb for a reasonable price. My DSLR is my all around best friend, but my P&S is my faux macro lens as I like to call it. If you have the money to invest in a DSLR, do it, but if you don't, there is nothing to worry about as a P&S will leave you with excellent quality photos (I promise I won't tell your secret.)


-Emily
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. DEFFS DSLR! wayyy btter quality :D I love mine <3

    https://www.bloglovin.com/people/manishaanwari2-11510825

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it depends on the type of photo. But in general, background blur, bokeh are things that just can't be recreated very well with a P&S. Although a note about the DSLR, it depends more on the lens rather than the model.
    Also, if you're looking to buy a Canon DSLR, the 650D does have a flippable touchscreen viewer. It's great for shutter release and focusing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the Nikon D5300, & I also have a Nikon P+S but I never find myself reaching for it unless on a night out with the girls! I agree with preferring a DSLR over the point and shoot... How do you find with the two brands? Do you prefer Nikon or Canon? SO many people love Canon but I could never imagine leaving Nikon!

    www.luciaflorence.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome comparison! I feel the same about my current camera (not a DSLR), the photos it takes are clear but the focus is not necessarily on the product. Oh well, I make do anyway by editing it the best I can :P I do quite like my camera and probably won't be buying a DSLR soon (too poor lol).

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this little comparison, both photos are gorgeous x

    Hannah | Heyitshannaah

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice post! I use my P&S camera and my iPhone haha. I don't know how to use any of the functions! Or I should say I haven't learnt yet.

    xx Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used p&s camera before, but now i started to use me new DSLR camera and i'm sooo happy about that :) the quality of my pics is so much better

    xx, marinasirmais

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used a point and shoot for about a year until I switched to a dslr recently, I did notice a huge difference in the brightness and quality of my photos but I think dslr's aren't worth the money if you all you do with it is "point and shoot" (that witty sentence took me about 10 minutes to think up...)

    Yet Another Makeup Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't used a P&S in years! And whilst my DSLR is great, it's just too bulky and heavy to take around and about :(

    Mel // izzipenelope

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really interesting to see the differences like this side by side. I must admit, I still don't know how to use my DSLR as much as I would like to (the instruction guide is quite long...) and I frequently use the automatic mode (and I know I shouldn't, lol) but I suppose sometime I'm gonna have to sit down for a while and get to know my DSRL better, since I do love it so much ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have either of those - I have a mirrorless camera, which I think needs to be mentioned more in the blogosphere. It's like a p&s with the shooting capacities of a dslr. I love my camera! It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't too expensive to buy.

    Ling | The Cosmetic Critic ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. DLSRs don't 'blur' the background, the lens does, but like, SOME POINT AND SHOOTS ARE REALLY ADVANCED NOW AND YOU CAN ADJUST THE SETTINGS (aperture, shutter speed)(e.g. the Fujifilm X series). Was playing around with one of the Fujifilm X series cameras and the lens was literally 1cm away from the subject and it could still focus. I was impressed. But yeah, DSLR lenses aren't there yet in terms of focusing distance, but some of the newer lenses are getting pretty close.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use a mirrorless camera like Ling the Cosmetic Critic. I have a Sony 3n. It's small like a point and shoot, but can shoot like a dslr. I love it. :)


    icryclouds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very good question! I would say it's a bit hard to compare as I'm comparing a Canon P+S to a Nikon DSLR, but I would say that Canon and Nikon are very similar to me and I don't prefer one over the other right now. I have used a Canon DSLR a bit, and I can honestly say I don't see that much of a difference! However, if I do buy a nicer DSLR, I am highly considering at Canon as they have some models that I adore :)

    ReplyDelete

© Ahem, It's Emme. All rights reserved.
MINIMALIST BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig